Learn All About Knee Arthritis
Osteoarthritis of the knee – a disease that affects millions of people around the world.
The most significant risk factors for the disease are older age and weight of the body. With increasing life expectancy the number of people suffering from lesions of the knee increases. Doctors successfully compete with deletion of cartilage in the knee joint, offering a wide range of therapeutic measures.
The knee joint is composed of two bones, the femur and tibia. The ends of the bones are covered with cartilage, which acts as a protection of the joint and provides slip bones to each other.
Cartilage has no ability to recover. The clinical manifestations are erasing cartilage pain and limited function of the knee.
Erasing the cartilage in the knee joint – a long, long process. Changes that occur in cartilage, are clearly visible on X-ray. The risk of developing knee osteoarthritis increases with age. The older the person, and the more his body weight – the less pronounced in the body healing process, and the greater weakness of the muscles and ligaments that hold the joint.
According to statistics, women are more likely to develop osteoarthritis of the knee. Has a definite value as a genetic predisposition to the disease.
How do you know if you have arthritis and Knee arthritis symptoms?
Any negative impacts on the knee and its structure, can “run” mechanism of destruction of cartilage, for example:
• Meniscal lesion – which, besides their other functions, perform as shock absorbers in the knee
• violation of knee stability associated with damage to his ligaments
• fractures and other traumatic injuries
• infectious processes that accompany such metabolic disorders or autoimmune diseases – such as rheumatoid arthritis and rheumatism
• insufficient blood supply to the knee causes the death of cartilage
• swelling of the knee and/or surrounding tissues
Diagnosis of the disease can be made by examination and x-rays, which are visible atrophic processes of cartilage – especially on the inside of the joint, and – reducing its volume and the development of characteristic spikes – osteophytes.
Knee arthritis exercises and Treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee Treatment can be conservative and surgical
It is aimed at reducing pain and maintaining knee movement – in order to improve the lives of people suffering from the defeat of the knee.
Kneearthritisexercises – Nonsurgical treatment
1. Physical therapy and lifestyle changes.
• Physical therapy – improves range of motion in the joints, strengthens muscles and reduces pain. Weight loss and proper nutrition can reduce the load on the joints.
• accessories – a stick to walk, as well as knee, which can be soft or hard. The latter is used in the later stages of the disease.
• apos-therapy (apostherapy) – reabilitatsitsionnoy therapy system based on biomechanical correction and training of the neuro-muscular system. Expanding the range of motion in the joint is achieved by reducing the pressure on him and relieve pain in the functioning of the knee.
2. Pharmaceutical treatments
• Ointments for topical application. Reduce the pain and irritation of inflamed tissues.
• Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs – reduce inflammation around the joint.
• Food additives – to strengthen the knee and tissue pain relief, as well as to improve the functioning of the joint.
- steroids. Have anti-inflammatory effects. Provide temporary pain relief.
- hyaluronic acid. In a normal part of the on synovial fluid. With the development of the disease its concentration in the joint is reduced. Injections of hyaluronic acid leads to a decrease in pain, improve mobility of the knee, as well as anti-inflammatory effect. There are natural hyaluronic acid, which are the extract of cockscomb (eg, Synvisc), or synthetic drugs (Ostenil, Arthease). Synthetic drugs are less likely to cause an allergic reaction.
- Ortokin is a new technique for treatment of osteoarthritis. It is a natural and biological treatment with the substances produced by the patient. To do this, the person taking the blood, which is extracted from the serum it contains proteins. They are formed in the body in a natural way to fight inflammation and halt the deterioration of cartilage. Being isolated from the serum of these substances are injected directly into the affected joint.
Knee arthritis exercises – Surgical treatment
In those cases, when conservative treatments have failed, and the quality of life is much suffering, there is a need for surgical treatment.
Orthoscopic surgery are effective in the early stages of the disease.
In the later period, when the erasure of the cartilage in the knee joint is significant – the success of treatment provides an operation to replace the joint. It is well proven as an effective method with very low risk and a high percentage of positive outcomes.
This operation provides immediate functional recovery of the knee, you can immediately start to walk and not feel pain.
Knee arthritis symptoms and Common myths about osteoarthritis
Myth: “Osteoarthritis – the inevitable destiny of old age.”
In Tibetan treatise “Chzhud Chi” said the man, in whose body is no change to live a long time, not knowing the disease, regardless of age. If such changes occur, the methods of Tibetan medicine to help in time to correct them and thus prevent the development of disease.
However, age-related changes in the body – an objective fact. First, accumulate metabolic slow tissue regeneration, leading to dystrophic changes of the musculoskeletal system and the development of disease. One of these diseases – the gradual destruction of cartilage interarticular or arthrosis.
Until recently, osteoarthritis, indeed, considered age-related diseases associated with the natural aging process. However, in recent decades, arthritis, and many other diseases of the musculoskeletal system, much younger. This primarily relates to osteoarthritis of the knee, or gonarthrosis, which is increasingly diagnosed at the age of 30-40 years, and even in the twenties.
The reasons for this – poor diet and, as a consequence, an imbalance of metabolic processes, as well as obesity and lack of exercise.
Osteoarthritis is the wear and tear of cartilage of the joints. This deterioration may be more or less natural, and in this case it develops in older age. However, it may also be related to increased stress on the joints because of the extra pounds. If this is the deterioration of building materials production joint tissues and slows their recovery, it leads to premature aging of the joints and the development of osteoarthritis at a young age. Plays a significant role as the deterioration of the joints due to food contamination of blood vessels (atherosclerosis).
Myth Two: “If the sore joints, arthritis should be treated.”
Osteoarthritis – is not the only reason that can be pain in the joints. This could be because, in particular, inflammation – arthritis. The use of pain medications, ointments can reduce pain, regardless of the cause. But the same regardless of the cause of pain, whether it is arthritis or arthritis, these drugs are not treating the disease.
Myth Three: “Osteoarthritis – this is the accumulation of salts in the joints.”
Perhaps this myth occurred because with dystrophic changes in the articular surfaces are formed shipovidnye osteophytes – bony growths due to which the joints in osteoarthritis creak.
In fact, arthritis has no relation to the deposition of salts. The more salt that can not generally be postponed in the joints, so the salt-free diet with osteoarthritis – a complete nonsense. Osteoarthritis occurs due to progressive thinning of the cartilage, resulting in deteriorating joints and the pain you experience. This is a degenerative-dystrophic process, not associated with any “salt”!
When a disease of the joints, as gout, joint actually deposited urate crystals – uric acid, but gouty arthritis – a completely different disease that has no relationship to arthrosis.
Myth Four: “Osteoarthritis can not be cured, and the operation is almost inevitable.”
Integrated application of Tibetan medicine in most cases will stop the development of osteoarthritis of joints and prevent the need for replacement. In the early stages of disease development of osteoarthritis can even be reversed.
Of course, if arthritis has developed over decades, and the patient has asked for help in old age, at the very late stage of the disease, arthritis cure is not possible. However, even in these cases, Tibetan medicine helps improve joint mobility, relieve pain, improve quality of life and performance, and most importantly, avoid disability.
If a man asked for help in time, the development of arthritis can be stopped! Tibetan medicine states that there is no disease that can not be cured in the early stages, until it acquired its “friends”, then there are complications. And joint arthrosis is no exception.
Myth: “If gonarthrosis useful to perform sit-ups.”
With osteoarthritis of the knee squat not only useful, but also contraindicated! Load experienced by the joints in the squat, can significantly accelerates the development of gonarthrosis.
Of course, this does not mean that with osteoarthritis shows immobility. Must go! However, the motion must be rational, and physical therapy should be administered strictly individual.